The radical transformation of this 1950’s office building is primarily aimed at improving its usage and thoroughly updating its features. The original anodyne building —set between party walls, with serious structural issues— is renovated by means of an optimisation of its work spaces, a reconfiguration of the inner courtyard, a rationalisation of the vertical communication core and, above all, a new facade that generates an identifiable corporate building with a maximum sense of representation and improved sunshading properties.
The colour on the street facade gradually spreads upwards, across horizontal parasols of transparent coloured glass to form a plane that floats without a precise boundary in front of the wall, in the manner of a huge city-scale blind that borrows its colours from the omnipresent balcony awnings in the vicinity. This ensemble extends in two directions. Horizontally, the tones range from yellowish green to orange-red. Vertically, the variable density of the slats responds to the sunlight and the narrowness of the street, requiring more shading on the upper floors than the ones closer to the ground.
The coloured slats gently nuance the indoor work spaces and make the course of the working day perceptible. Outside, the colour breaks up the monotony of the street, reflecting back the intensified solar radiation and making the passage of time notable on the ground in the public space.